- (i) UTI Technology Services Ltd (UTITSL) to set up and manage IT PAN Service Centers in all those cities or towns where there is an Income Tax office and
- (ii) National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL) to dispense PAN services from Tax Information Network (TIN) Facilitation Centers.
Who shall apply for PAN :-
- Income Tax Act provides that every person whose total income exceeds the maximum amount not chargeable to tax or every person who carries on any business or
- profession whose total turnover or gross receipts exceed Rs.5 lakhs in any previous year or any person required to a file a return of income shall apply for PAN. Besides, any person not fulfilling the above conditions may also apply for allotment of PAN.
- With effect from 01.06.2000, the Central Government may by notification specify any class/classes of person including importers and exporters, whether or not any tax is payable by them, and such persons shall also then apply to the Assessing Officer for allotment of PAN.
- With effect from 01.04.2006 a person liable to furnish a return of fringe benefits is also required to apply for allotment of PAN. And if such a person already has been allotted a PAN he shall not be required to obtain another PAN.
- Since income of any financial year is taxed in the subsequent year called as the assessment year, application for PAN must be made on or before the 30th of June of the relevant assessment year.